Home / Blog / Debt
Five steps to reduce debt
July 26th, 2012
Sometimes it’s the little things that make a big difference. Here are five easy steps you can take to reduce your debt and set yourself on
5. Say no to plastic—cards, not bags. The credit card itself is never the problem, without discipline they make it easy to spend money you don’t have.
4. Yes to needs, no to wants—there’s a sharp distinction between what people “need” and what they “want”. When you’re in debt, finding the discipline to draw that line is something you need to do!
3. Boil down the numbers— see that number at the bottom of your paycheck? That’s it – that’s all you get. Spend less than you make and you’ll stay out of debt, so write that number down and live by it.
2. Plan a “stay”cation—we all need a break once and a while, but going on a big trip can bring even more problems if you don’t play it smart. So save money by staying closer to home (short driving distance) so you can relax during, and after, your vacation.
1. Focus on simple pleasures—be grateful for what you have. You’ll be amazed how joy you’ll find by keeping a small gratitude journal each night to list the things you’re thankful for. You know what they say – the best things in life are free!